Five food businesses in Ireland, including two in the capital, Dublin, have been hit with closure orders for a string of food safety offences under the FSAI Act 1998 and the EC (Official Control of Foodstuffs) Regulations 2010.
Three businesses were hit with closure orders under the FSAI Act in January: Hot Spot, a kebab shop and takeaway in Limerick; Polonez, a Polish cash and carry in Dublin; and Pacinos Restaurant, an Italian pizzeria on the banks of the River Liffey in Dublin.
Nancy Folly, restaurant manager at Pacinos Restaurant, told this site the closure was “an ordeal”.
‘Smallest rodent known to man’
The business was hit with a food safety offence after the local council allegedly privatised a lane that ran outside Pacinos Restaurant, Folly explained.
“The health inspector found rat droppings outside in the lane and he said he found a small hole in one of our doors that could potentially allow rats to come through, so he said he was going to close us until we changed the door.
“It was such an ordeal,” Folly added. “We’re talking about such tiny, little holes and, I don’t know if he was talking about the smallest rodent known to man but, we were not allowed to open until we replaced the doors.”
Folly said the closure, due to a food safety offence, did have an impact on trading, but fortunately, it came during January when restaurant footfall was low.
Beach View Tandoori, an Indian takeaway in Meath, and Kavanaghs Fine Foods (Cork) Ltd faced closure orders under the EC (Official Control of Foodstuffs) Regulations 2010.
“The vast majority of Irish food businesses are aware of the importance of food safety requirements and are complying with food safety legislation,” said Pamela Byrne, chief executive, FSAI.
“However, there are a number of businesses acting carelessly and potentially putting consumers’ health at risk. All food businesses must take responsibility and recognise that the legal onus is on them to make sure that the food they sell or serve is safe to eat. This requires ongoing compliance with food safety and hygiene standards.”