Newly Weds Foods is a major ingredients supplier and has confirmed it has recalled one cracker and one bread crumb product due to the potential presence of milk.
So far 10 US meat companies, including giants Conagra Brands and Tyson Foods, have collectively recalled nearly 4 million lb of produce.
The US Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) said “a supplier” was responsible for the recalls.
The agency did not reveal the identity of the supplier but Advanced Pierre Foods, recently acquired by Tyson Foods, named Newly Weds Foods as their supplier in a statement.
It is unclear at this stage if Newly Weds Foods was the only supplier that sold breadcrumbs and cracker products potentially containing undeclared milk to the 10 companies who have issued recalls.
In a statement emailed to this site, a company spokesperson for Newly Weds Foods said: “Out of an abundance of caution, Newly Weds Foods Inc. (NWF) voluntarily recalled specific lot codes of cracker meals and blended bread coatings due to the potential presence of undeclared milk from cross-contact during the manufacturing process.”
“Some specific non-dairy NWF cracker meal products made in the Watertown [Massachusetts] facility were discovered to have a small amount of dairy present.
“The root cause has been identified and corrective actions have been implemented. To date, no consumer illnesses have been connected to NWF products. The company continues to cooperate fully with all regulatory authorities. The quality of all NWF products is of the utmost importance to the company.”
Since 8 June 2017 a total of 10 companies in the US have recalled varying amounts of produce due to undeclared allergens.
- Tyson Foods: 2,485,374lb of ready-to-eat breaded chicken.
- Conagra Brands: 717,338lb of spaghetti and meatball products.
- Gourmet Boutique: 294,744lb of ready-to-eat chicken products.
- Maid-Rite Speciality Foods: 174,000lb of beef products.
- Joseph Seviroli Foods: 114,409lb of beef ravioli products.
- Advance Pierre Foods: 54,699lb of chicken products.
- Pork King Sausage: 44,035lb of raw sausages.
- Packer Avenue Foods: 9,690lb of ready-to-eat (RTE) chicken salads.
- Aldon Food Corporation: 8,570 lb of chicken salads.
- Water Lilies Food: 4,335 lb of ready-to-eat breaded chicken.